Christian pop culture through the eyes of a radical housewife and part time atheist, Miss Poppy Hussein Dixon. Online since 1995. Stop by every day for the latest in Christian crime, intimidation, fraud, and foolishness.

For the finest Jesus junk, visit MissPoppy.com

shop misspoppy.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting Today in Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

voting in silverlake

My family - my husband, son, and I - walked to the polls shortly after 7:00am. The line wrapped around the parking lot. In 2000 the line was less than half that long and there had been a big drive to defeat George Bush, so turnout had been high. It was even higher today.

The mood was one of determination and cautious excitement. I loved seeing the crowd - so incredibly diverse. One of my neighbors is white and works for a high-end auction house. Another, a citizen born in Columbia, works for a university. Both had voted. This was not a McCain Palin crowd.

Everyone was snapping photos. People were asking joggers to stop and take their picture. There is a feeling that everyone wants to remember everything about today.

The people coming out of the building all had smiles on their faces.

It took us about an hour to get through the line. My thirteen-year-old son joined me in the booth. When I voted for Obama my son put his hand on top of mine. He did the same thing when we voted no on Proposition 8. He was late for school, but I can't think of a better reason.
Ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:12

1 comment:

GOPnot4me said...

Way to go, Miss P.

Here in Vista (no. san diego county) we had a downpour with cold breezes at 8am.

Now at 1:15pm, Partly cloudy, cool and breezy.

Polls steadily busy since the rain stopped around two hours ago.

GOBama, No on H8te