...Then they came for our waffles.
It took the Family Research Council a day and a half to realize that the Obama Waffles being peddled by two fellows from Tennessee, Bob DeMoss and Mark Whitlock, might be considered by some as racist. According to World Magazine,
DeMoss and Whitlock said traffic to their booth was heavy, they got no complaints, and they sold more than 400 boxes of the waffle mix.After atheist Eric Herman alerted reporters the FRC asked Bob DeMoss and Mark Whitlock to dismantle their booth and leave their Values Voter Summit.
Bob DeMoss, Christian writer and Obama waffle co-creator, admits others have pointed out his product is racist, but whined,
They don't get it. It's unfortunate; they have their freedom of speech and it'd be nice if we had ours.Though the Family Research Council condemned the product and its presence at the Summit, their apology seems disingenuous. Bob DeMoss served as a youth culture specialist for Focus on the Family for seven years. Bob's partner, Mark Whitlock also worked for Focus on the Family, as an engineer/producer for their radio show "Family Life Today." The Family Research Council is a division of Focus on the Family so the two good old boys were likely not strangers to the staff of the Values Voter Summit.
Bob DeMoss is a writer from Franklin, TN and has coauthored at least six books with Tim LaHaye. Tim LaHaye is the founder of the Council for National Policy, the stealth evangelical organization thought to be responsible for picking Sarah Palin as McCain's VP.
A Cavalcade Of Racism
The Obama Waffle Mix is a veritable cavalcade of racism, and illustrates the length to which white people will go when they cannot use the word "nigger." From Christianity Today, the box is imprinted with
- an image on the flap depicting Obama in a Muslim headdress with the copy "Point box toward Mecca for tastier waffles."
- a caricature of Rev. Jeremiah Wright as a missing person on the side of the box, with copy, "Popular sayings: 'God d*** America' and Made in the US of KKA."
- the recipe for "Barack Belgium Beauties" reads, "Environmentally conscious consumers should pay two ozone-offset carbon credits to Al Gore's GreenWorld fund."
- a caricature of Michelle Obama saying, "For the first time in my adult life I'm proud of an American waffle."
- an attempt at a rap song, "Barry's Bling Bling Waffle Ring recipe rap"
"Yo, B-rock here droppin' waffle knowledgeAnd in an attempt to offend everyone,
Spellin' it out, 'cause I graduated college
Some say I waffle so fast, Barry's causin' whiplash
Just doin' my part, made wafflin' a fine art
For a waffle wit style, like Chicago's Magnificent Mile
Spray whipped cream around the edge
Shake it first like Sister Sledge
Then say wit me, I can be as waffly as I wanna be!
(That goes out to my Ludacris posse)"
- a caricature of Obama in a sombrero promoting "Open Border Fiesta Waffles," saying, "The greatest danger of all is to allow walls to divide us. It's time we opened our borders and our wallets to all who desire a taste of freedom. So put out the welcome mat and enjoy this multicultural celebration." And, "While waiting for these zesty treats to invade your home, why not learn a foreign language? Recommended serving: 4 or more illegal aliens."
Bob DeMoss told a reporter, "I understand that it's not for everyone. But we don't have a racist bone in our bodies. This is humor, not hate."
Sorry, Bob. It's not humor.