Christian pop culture through the eyes of a radical housewife and part time atheist, Miss Poppy Hussein Dixon. Online since 1995. Stop by every day for the latest in Christian crime, intimidation, fraud, and foolishness.

For the finest Jesus junk, visit MissPoppy.com

shop misspoppy.com

Friday, January 30, 2009

OK Schoolgirl Accused of Witchcraft



A schoolgirl in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma is accused of being a witch.
he ACLU is suing Union Public School Independent District No. 9 of Oklahoma. The reason is bizarre: administrators at the school have harrassed and violated the civil rights of a young woman named Brandi Blackbear because - and I'm a bit ashamed to admit this can go on in my country - they accused her of witchcraft. They say she used a magic spell to make one of her teachers sick. In retaliation, she has been subjected to searches and public humiliation, and the school has banned the wearing of non-Christian paraphernalia.
One of her accusers, a vice principal, is named Mr. Bushyhead.

A desert of ignorance in the heartland.

7 comments:

Bette said...

Wait. Do they not know it's 2009? SERIOUSLY?

spajadigit said...

Wow. I only thought this happened in other countries. Now I'm sad.

Here we are on the cusp of a new millenium, and we're still stuck in the dark ages to some degree.

Poor girl.

Miss Poppy Dixon said...

I wondered if it might be because she's native american.

The myspace blogger had more info and said there was a confluence of fundamentalist christian churches in the area.

I'm going to blame it on Sarah Palin and her witch doctor pastor - making that kind of stupidity fashionable again.

GOPnot4me said...

The incident refered to took place nearly 10 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Like_Everyone_Else

From the way this story is reported here or at Pharyngula makes it seem a current event.

We need to be careful not to confuse people about the facts. You know, like Fox Noise.

Lowell said...

Miss Poppy...

I have no idea why all my posts from Contextual Criticism are showing up on your blog.

And I don't know what to do about it.

Can you help?

Jacob

Miss Poppy Dixon said...

GOPnot4me,

Doh! Didn't do my homework. I'm JUST the kind of blogger that Sarah Palin complains about.

Yours very embarrassed,

Hit and Miss Poppy

Miss Poppy Dixon said...

Jacob,

I'm in your blog list and that's on all of your posts. If you link to the site, but not a specific post I think it will stop. But I don't mind.

Miss P