Christian pop culture through the eyes of a radical housewife and part time atheist, Miss Poppy Hussein Dixon. Online since 1995. Stop by every day for the latest in Christian crime, intimidation, fraud, and foolishness.

For the finest Jesus junk, visit MissPoppy.com

shop misspoppy.com

Monday, January 19, 2009

My Garage Social

garage social

Yesterday, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday and Tuesday's inauguration, I held my first Garage Social. It's like a garage sale, but you don't have to sell anything - I didn't. I set up a coffee table and chairs, in the space in front of my garage, and met my neighbors. I served Meyers Dark Rum brownies and Meyer lemon squares, which were both a big hit. I had extra lemons, so let the neighbors take those, too.

One of my neighbors went home to get dog biscuits for the passers by with pooches, of which there were many. It was fun. We all got to know each other better. I gathered everyone's email addresses so I can let them know when we have another one, maybe the second Sunday of each month.

I like the idea of a day of service, but wanted something more personal than the things I found offered online at Change.gov. I didn't take any pictures this time, because I didn't want to distract from just meeting people.

There are so many directions in which the Garage Social could evolve. To me it seems there are few things in our current culture as subversive as walking up to a stranger, smiling, and introducing yourself.

No comments: